Saturday, April 6, 2013

Worms, Bees and Haiku Deck

I have been wanting to write a blog post for my classroom blog that tells a little bit of the story of our most recent Expedition called Down to Earth. I also had heard good things about a new app called Haiku Deck and wanted to learn more about it. Yesterday I merged these two items on my "to do" list and came up with the Haiku Deck below. The app is very easy to use and I think the final product looks nice. I will be posting this Haiku Deck on my classroom blog next week after Spring Break to give the parents a view of how an Expedition works.


2 comments:

  1. Jill, WOW! So much great learning going on! Thank you for sharing! About how long did it take to complete the unit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leka,

    We do two Expeditions a year - one on a Science issue and one on a Social Studies issue. Each Expedition takes a little bit less than half of a school year. We will continue working on this Science Expedition until the end of the school year. We still have more to learn about bees and then we will transition into Earth's Resources and focus on one resource in depth - we will look closely at soil since this will tie in with our study of worms and bees/flowers.

    Our Social Studies Expedition was called "We Are Family". We began by comparing and contrasting our own families (lots of math with charts and graphs in this study). Then we moved on to families around the world and focused in depth on families in China and how they compared to our own families.

    ReplyDelete