I can usually focus on my personal goals for my professional development but even that isn't happening right now. I don't have the time or energy needed to read new professional books, blog posts or tweets.
I have kind of dropped out of the online community I was part of and I miss it. I have tried to push myself to reengage but when I do I feel like I can't keep up or spend any energy focusing on new ideas that I want to try. I did try to force myself to participate in #1stchat last night but it still felt forced to me.
I do still love my job and the time I spend with my crew but all the other "stuff"* is hard to manage right now. I can push those thoughts and feelings aside when I am with my students but as soon as they are gone it all comes rushing back.
Yes, I know that I sound depressed and I probably am. I also know that I am usually very good at pulling myself out of a mild "depression" by creating new plans for myself and my professional development. I know that I will get a handle on this eventually. In the meantime, I am simply stuck.
* "Stuff" could include but is not limited to:
- the uncertainty of working without a Collective Bargaining Agreement
- Backwards Planning
- BAS - Balanced Assessment System
- Restorative Practices
- GVC - Guaranteed and Viable Curriculum (our version of CCSS)
- the application process to the Discovery program - gifted and talented program
- implementing the 4Cs including explicit teaching and assessing of them
- the discussions around what creativity is and isn't
- pay for performance
- CITE - Continuous Improvement of Teacher Effectiveness
- World Class Outcomes
- PGIs - Professional Growth Incentives
- relearning old vocabulary to fit new ideas - formative, interim, summative and performance assessments
- Sustainable Learning Strategies
- teaching other 21st Century skills
- Integrating World Class tools
- differentiating instruction
- creating a teacher e-portfolio
- and more