Sunday, February 24, 2013

Attitude Adjustment



We are having a blizzard today and I used the quiet time this morning to give myself a bit of attitude adjustment. Actually, this attitude adjustment started on Friday when I really worked to shift my focus back to what I love best - helping my students. I watched my crew very carefully and really thought about what they need and how I could help them in the best way possible.

I have been worrying about some of my reluctant readers and so I asked for our Reading Recovery teachers to come in and watch me and model for me some ways to help these readers. (I need to remind myself that I feel like this about this time every year.) I felt so jazzed after these sessions with my support staff. I can't wait to go to work tomorrow and refocus my attention in new areas.

I have also spent some time this weekend browsing some of my favorite books (One Child at a Time by Pat Johnson and Catching Readers Before They Fall by Pat Johnson and Katie Keier) and favorite blogs (A Year of Reading, Reflect and Refine, Two Writing Teachers, To Make a Prairie and Our Camp-Read-A-Lot) and following the #dublit13 hashtag on Twitter. (This annual conference always makes me want to move to Ohio.) All of this has left me feeling uplifted and ready to move forward.

This morning I spent some time watching and listening to some ShowMes (created using the ShowMe app on the iPad) that my students have created in the last week or two. I can't even begin to explain how listening to them puts me in a better frame of mind. Seeing them share what they have learned makes me smile. I now have created two blog posts for my classroom blog for the upcoming week so I can shine the spotlight on these ShowMes for parents. I think I will cross-post these posts onto this blog later in the week also so I can share them with you, too. I am ready to begin sharing again.

This doesn't mean that I have a better handle on all of the "stuff" that I mentioned in my last post but now I am going to focus on adding it in piece by piece while still focusing on what matters most first - my students. I will work hard to keep everything from overwhelming me again. I think know I can do it.

6 comments:

  1. Jill,
    I was inspired by your reflection. You are an amazing teacher and it is so evident that you are always looking out for the kids and their needs. If I had a 1st grader I would want them in your very capable hands! Enjoy the rest of your day!

    Marci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, I ALWAYS appreciate your deep thinking and I admire your sense of priorities. You are, as always, an inspiration to me. I do know that overwhelmed feeling--I feel it often. I'm glad you are finding a way out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy. I wish we all didn't have to feel this way but I am glad that we have each other for support.

      Delete
  3. You are on your way back!!! Glad to hear it. It’s the mid-winter slump. We’ve all been there. And we always return. Pat Johnson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Pat. I reread the chapter on fluency in your book, One Child at a Time, and decided that this was what a couple of my students needed next. I started today and I feel much better.

      Delete